Friday, May 11, 2007

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue

We were reminded todat that the institution of marriage is not one to be entered into lightly. The good Reverend sat us down and had a serious chat with us about our intentions. Not having been maried before and not having spent much of my life in church, I didn't have a clue what to expect and so let B lead the way.

Before giving us the requisite forms to fill in, the Reverend asked us the following questions:
  1. Have we attained the age of majority?
  2. Are our parents aware of our intentions?
  3. Are we currently married?
  4. Are we of sound mind?
  5. Are we entering into this marriage out of duress or coercion of any kind?
  6. Do we have the intention to have a christian marriage and will our children be raised in the framework of the church?
Of course we answered yes, yes, no, yes, no and yes respectively. After impressing onto us the importance of the church as an institution and guide to our lives as a married couple, the good Reverent stops sweating us and hands us the forms to fill in. And here I was thinking that he'd be all fire and brimstone and that I'd have to sign my soul away before he'd say yes.

A church wedding is full of traditions, some of which may be outdated yet hold enough appeal to follow. One that especially appeals to me is the "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" bit that many modern brides still follow. If I were to follow this to the letter then I'm thinking an old pair of blue underwear should take care of old and blue and maybe I can borrow a new pair of Choos from some generous donor.

Another tradition is the bride wearing white to symbolize her purity and innocence...well! not in this day and age! Thank goodness for shades of champagne and ivory - slightly tarnished is the modern bride.

I've been scouring the internet and magazines for my dress and of course that of my wonderful bridesmaid and I can't find anything that we'd be comfortable in. Everything is puffy, frou frou or lacy! The standard wedding dress of strapless top and poufy skirt is a definite no go for me - I'd trip over the skirt and probably pop out of the top halfway down the aisle. I am so not one of those girls who grow up dreaming of her wedding day. The white suit ala Bianca Jagger is beginning to look more and more appealing to me. I'm warning you dear bridesmaid, you may end up in something frilly despite my best efforts to rescue you from such a fate. Please don't hate me forever.

Hair and makeup have been taken care of by a simple visit to the one and only Shahdon. all 3 of us go way way back so it was only appropriate that I ask him to beautify me on my big day.

A wedding means photographs! Lots of photographs! Pre-wedding shots are usually taken to show off to one and all during the wedding. This is one thing we may not do. The shots, yes but a resounding no to the showing them to one and all during the wedding...we're just not like that somehow. I'm hoping to get a good friend to do the photographs. I like his portraits and I like his style. Photographs are also very personal and I hope that by getting a dear friend to take our pre-wedding shots, his knowledge and familiarity of us as a couple will show through in photographs that capture what we really are instead of stilted photographs of 2 people who slightly resemble us physically. The personal touch is important.

My to do list for the next week:
  1. Sort out dresses for myself and wedding party.
  2. Finalise guest list from parental units and grandparents.
  3. Approach printers for quotations for printing the invitations.
  4. Sort out entertainment and venues.
  5. Decide on how many separate events to hold.
  6. Finalise budget.
  7. Investigate flowers and wedding favours.

No comments: